Friday, May 28, 2010

Book Review: "The Holiness of God," by R.C. Sproul

"At that moment Peter realized that he was in the presence of the Holy Incarnate. He was desperately uncomfortable. His initial response was one of worship. He fell to his knees before Christ. Instead of saying something like, "Lord, I adore You, I magnify You," he said,
"Please go away. Please leave. I can't stand it." " -- Pg. 56
 

I found this book in the "Free" box at my favorite little bookstore downtown. Friends, it is certainly worth a financial investment. R.C. Sproul has taken a difficult and little-discussed topic and made it accessible, interesting, relevant and yet historical. With the skill of a story-teller, he takes you from the Old Testament through the time of Martin Luther on a journey to understand the holiness of God.

As he sums things up in chapter eleven, R.C. declares that God's holiness is central to understanding the significance of the Gospel. Consequently, the modern Evangelical movement has surrendered it's relevance by diminishing the awesome holiness of God. We have tried so hard to make Him accessible that we've diminished the value and honor of being in His holy presence. The church has tried so hard to erase the threshold that we're not sure why it's there anymore.

This book will not disappoint. It's well-written, answers the questions that lie deep within our hearts about God's holiness, justice, and redemption. As a cherry on top, R.C. has devoted an entire chapter to the hardest, most violent judgments God brought upon Israel in the Old Testament. What does justice have to do with holiness? Isn't He a God of mercy? These pages will help you find the answers - and I guarantee you'll be challenged to think of God in a new, more accurate way.

1 comment:

  1. Something about the quotation that you posted made me think of Isaiah. He sees the magnificence and righteousness of God and immediately becomes aware of his own unrighteousness and lack of holiness. "Woe is me...!"

    This sounds like a fabulous book. I should borrow it, since I didn't pick it up first at the bookstore. ;)

    ~ Jody

    ReplyDelete

Please add your thoughts here! Be my guest.